Tuesday, December 12, 2006

that old fashioned cozy feeling

After two weeks of waiting and hoping I received the message that'd kept my thoughts occupied all that time. My mom was coming to Holland for an unexpected and short visit. The purpose was to be at my grandfather's birthday, but ofcourse she spent some time with me too.

Picking her up at the airport was a whole two-day adventure! I traveled from Ede to The Hague, where I spent the night at Joelle's place. Joelle is preparing to go to Egypt for three months to work there, and it was great to hang out and talk about that.

The next evening I traveled to Delft where Tim picked me up at the trainstation (yeah such a gentleman!) At his place we watched Pirates of the Caribbean 2 with his roommates. Later he found and made me a bed in one of his roommate's rooms. It was great fun spending time with them, but that night I slept in fragments... I was worried I'd sleep through my alarm and thus still be too late to pick up my mom at the airport, despite all the troubles I'd gone through to make it there.

Ofcourse my alarm woke me up just fine and 20 minutes later I tiptoed out of the house and into the quiet streets of Delft. These were the wee hours of the Sunday morning and the first people I saw were drunk right out of their minds. At the trainstation I saw some sober people with big suitcases, so obviously they headed for the same destination as I did. For once the trains all traveled right on time and I made it to the airport without any troubles. There I waited a bit for my mom and could soon hug her tight.

Having her over at my place was so much fun. We chatted eachothers ears off with all our stories. We shared countless cups of coffee and tea and I totally stuffed my mom with all the foods I figured she needed to try. Ofcourse mom wouldn't be mom if she didn't do a bit of cleaning. But I'll forgive her for that ;) We went to church and went shopping, we made a bike trip and cooked dinner... And when I came back from school yesterday my mom was there waiting for me with a cup of tea on the tealight.

I thoroughly enjoyed having my mom here and thus I'm not so eager to get back home today. The house will be cold and quiet with no one there. The tealight will have burned out and the tea gone cold. I'll slip right into my bedroom and turn on the electric-blanket. When I go to bed the warmth will envelope me like a hug. That's at least one hug of the 10 I need (according to American studies).

But you know what: I am one of the most lucky and blessed girls on earth! Because I have such a great relationship with my parents.

And my parting note: "Don't hesitate to hug me anytime you run into me...;P"... you're welcome ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

....one hug of the 10 I need....

...."Don't hesitate to hug me anytime you run into me...;P"... you're welcome ;)....

You better start training holding your breath....
Only 8 days till I can hug you after more than 3 months.
Be warned!
Dad

marcel said...

can you imagine how many punches i owe you?