We're flying over Egypt... major desert land with the Nile like a shimering snake making its way slowly to the Mediteranean Sea... I forget to look out the window in amazement, like my fellow expedition mates. I stare at the tv screen displaying flight info.
Speed: 901 km per hour
Distance left to be travelled: 3.135 km
Local time: 16:36
Time of arrival: 20:40
Height: 11.277 meter
the butterflies that kept me up all night last night wiggle inside my stomach... that's twice as far as Egypt... Uganda... unknown
I wake up four hours later... the plane is landing... this is it. As soon as I step onto the Ugandan soil I know it's okay, I know these two weeks will be amazing, I know I belong...
It's dark and there are no street lights. Some roadside fires and gasoline lamps shed a little light on the world around us, and give a slight first impression. I see what I know. Shops with their wares stacked up to the ceiling, open despite the late hour. People gathered on the sidewalks, socialising, smoking and drinking... here I have to correct myself: in Egypt no alcohol is consumed on the streets. But this is what I see and my body, tired and sore as it is from the whole trip, seems to relax in the warmth of this new country... welcome to Uganda.
After a bunch of administrational details, which I won't bore you with, we got ready for bed. Uganda or no Uganda, I slept as soundly as ever. The next morning I look out the window to see a breathtaking scenery... the only thing I could think of to describe the beauty of this country is to remind you of the first few scenes of the animation film The Lion King... thats Uganda...but then for real. And a two-some monkeys watching us through the little window under the shower... lol, true story!
In the days that follow Uganda seems to unfold as first impressions become real life experiences. Sights become situations with people we talk to, children we teach and play with, laughter, tears... no internet, no phones... nothing except this, you and me, Uganda... And I've never felt more alive.

1 comments:
wauw.
jij kan zo prachtig typen!
en wat moet het daar in Oeganda mooi zijn! (want die eerste scene's van de lion king zijn al zo geweldig :)
gelukkig (wat dat betreft) begint school zo'n beetje weer, dan kan ik je geheel uithoren! wacht maar! ha!
of misschien typ je hier nog meer, dat zou ook geweldig zijn!
zie je snel! hoop ik!
Post a Comment