Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas in Holland

Hi all,
as most of you know I experienced my very first Christmas in the Netherlands since I was 12... And quite the experience it was! We had a snowy white Christmas for the first time since 1981! It didn't get me ecstatic since I didn't know any better, but Tim and the rest of Holland was thrilled!

The week leading up to Christmas wasn't very fun for me, as I became sick with an infection in my abdomen. Thankfully I was able to go outside for a bit each day, so I got my fair share of snowfun and shopping done. And as Christmas came closer my tummy got better and though my appetite is still small I was able to enjoy some of the Christmas dinner Tim cooked.

Speaking of Tim, he really went all out to make this a beautiful Christmas! A week before Christmas he took me shopping for a tiny Christmas tree and some decorations. He also gave me the Top100 Christmas Hits of all time. And the day before Christmas he took me Christmas tree shopping again (discount days ;) ), but this time a full size Christmas tree. Due to the fact that my brother-in-law and his family of four were staying with us the day after Christmas we had to refrain from putting our big tree up. So we put it straight in the storage room... but next year!

It was very strange to be in a Dutch church on Christmas Eve and not be at the Candle Light service back home. Very strange... but for some reason they sang some English carols that most of the people in church, including those on stage, didn't know very well, but I bellowed them out at the top of my voice. That was great. Tim had to film the service for those who couldn't be there. So beforehand I had dreaded sitting alone. But God winked at me and send a good old friend of mine to church. He hadn't been to church since our wedding, and hadn't planned to go on Christmas eve. But there he was. And I thank God for giving me family for those two hours. It was different from what I am used to... but I guess different is okay.

During these days I've very much wanted to go hug my mom and dad. But I'll just send them my love and hug them big time when they come visit us in the summer. This Christmas Tim and I have started our own little traditions. That meant we had to let go of those special things our parents did to make Christmas unique before. And letting go is hard. I'm not a big fan of letting go... but here we are... and it really isn't that hard with Tim at my side. Coz he has this way of making me so happy!

How was your Christmas?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hihi ik kom af en toe eens op je site en ik ben heel blij voor je dat een die goede vriend je zag zitten:)... Leuk dat je bij ons zat en als één grote familie kerstavond kon vieren! Geniet van de komende daagjes samen en Gods zegen alvast voor het nieuwe jaar! Liefs, Majella :)