Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Betty Crocker in my kitchen


Mrs. Crocker was first introduced to me by some American friends. It came up in several different situations. One of which didn't actually happen to me, but to my mom. And since that particular incident Mrs. Betty Crocker has been a well-used word in our family conversations...

The incident was as follows: A young and naive American fellow once bounced into the kitchen looking for a snack. It so happens that this was during a retreat of the middle school kids. My mom and her friend were in the kitchen since they were supposed to be feeding all those hungry mouths. The young, naive American guy was actually one of the leaders, and as I figure this must have taken place before 9 p.m. I think he was bouncing...

Anyway, as he looked for a snack he took a moment to observe the activities in the kitchen. What he saw amazed him. He watched as milk, flower and eggs all disappeared in a bowl and after a good stir were baked into wonderful pancakes. Wonder and amazement filled his whole face as he looked up at my mom and her friend and exclaimed that he didn't know you could do such things without the help of Betty Crocker and some of her fellow all-American brand names...

that's how Betty Crocker entered our vocabulary.
But as I am all non-American I never thought she would end up in my kitchen. But the unimaginable happened. She is there. Sitting on the self. The image of those perfect caramel and walnut brownies makes my mouth water each time I see it. But I lack the courage.

I'm working up the bravery to pick up the box, open it and whip up that supposedly perfect batter. To pour that smooth and rich batter into a pan and bake it just right. I've come a long way...I've gotten as far as reading the instructions on the back. But every time I think I can do it, my hands start to tremble with fear and I can't even get myself to open the box. What if I mess up? What if my Dutchness ruins it all? With a sigh I place Betty back on the shelf.

After all... We are talking about the great Betty Crocker here...

2 comments:

capps duo said...

OK...I just had to comment....something about that bouncing naive American sounded vaguely familiar...

Anyways, I know from first hand experience that Mrs. Betty Crocker is a kind and patient individual. Even non-American non-bouncing types have been known to be her pal. I say go for it...you may meet a friend of a lifetime.

A pudgy American (the non-bouncing kind)
Mrs. Capps

marcel said...

lol... give it to me.. i have the courage to ruin anything!