Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Youssef was special

From the day we met he made up his mind and told my dad: I am going to marry your daughter. That day was 4 years ago. Youssef was one of the men that worked at the Deaf Unit. Besides being deaf he was special in other ways too.

And besides being special, he was fun. A lot of fun. Through the years my dad and Youssef joked about our engagement non-stop. How Youssef would be the boss if he married me. And so on. My dad loved Youssef, his special friend.

Anytime I came over to the Deaf Unit he would try to talk me out of all the rings I wore, and just wear his engagement ring. Needless to say, there wasn't a ring. But sometimes I wondered how serious Youssef was. I figure all jokes have a bit of truth in them.

Youssef knew very well that it would never be. That it would aways be a joke. Coz my world is so far removed from his. But it's impossible not to love Youssef. He will always have a special place in my heart.

Last night I was shocked to hear that our friend Youssef suddenly passed away. Just like that.

0 comments: