Amy once mentioned old people love to us. She explained to us why she loved seeing elderly people, very much in love with each other.I had never given it any thought before. But somehow it opened my eyes. I guess I belong to the generation that grows up scared of marriage. Why? Because of the major divorce rate. "Till death do us part..." How can I be sure that while 'he' says that, he won't bail out when the going gets tough?
Even in the church I've stood by and seen well respected couples give up and break their vows. I am not about to judge any of these people. But it shows why I am a bit hesitant of the whole marriage thing. Although I would never settle for anything less. My parents have shown me that it doesn't have to be this way. Besides each other spouse, they are also buddies, mates and best friends. They stuck together for better and for worse, and promise they always will. But will I ever find that?
Lately I've been touched when I see an elderly couple side by side. Bend over with arthritis. Hair, either grey or gone... Wrinkles etched deep into their faces. Wrinkles that tell their own story of years passed. But as they carefully shuffle along with little steps. He glances at her with eyes full of love. And he offers his trembling arm for support.
I'd settle for love like that...
1 comments:
i think i'd go for someone my age... but you know, if old is your thing...
Post a Comment