Friday, October 13, 2006

"Hi, would you like to be insured against death?"

Insurances... Man they drive me up the wall. Sorting out the health and dental insurance was a time and energy robbing business. And not that that's all taken care of it costs me a truckload of money each month. Then there was the all-risk insurance, in case I accidentally beat someone or something up... Not to forget the fire and theft insurance. You know, just in case my place burns down. That way I'm insured to get all the pictures of loved ones replaced...

Insurances are crazy...You pay a lot of money so that if tragedy strikes you are covered... Covered? Do you really think anyone is gonna give me money for my stuff? In case of a fire I really don't care if my bed and couch burn to a crisp. It's the things that matter to me most that can't be insured.

There's no insurance that assures you of those great memories of childhood or that first kiss. There is no insurance that covers all the pictures and bits of paper which you have collected over the years. There is no insurance that insures you health, happiness or love. So why do we go through all this trouble to make sure we're 'covered' just in case a tragedy hits us?

The insurance man who came to my door today beat it all. He asked me if I wanted to be insured incase of death... And that after first checking if I was the main resident of the house! Man, get a clue!!! If you think the girl facing you isn't even an adult, why bother her with such nonsense! Yeah I may die any minute now, I know that. But I really don't care. I remember that when I used to live in Egypt we were insure that in case of death, my body would be flown back to Holland. And even back then, I couldn't care less where I'd be buried. I know funeral insurance is all big right now -it is here in Holland- and I know that I don't want to burden others with the money issue when I do pass away. But come on, if I can't even pay my regular bills each month, do you really expect me to get a funeral insurance? It's not gonna keep my parents from being heart broken, and it's not gonna bring me back to life. Besides, I'm hoping Jesus will come back before that next exam I'll hafta take, and in that case I won't need to be buried at all :)

Alright, once I have the means I'll start saving up for my funeral. But I need to get my priorities straight first... What do I need to save for first... My driver's license or my funeral?

1 comments:

marcel said...

I'd say your drivers licence... when you die i'd be most honoured to dig you a perfect hole myself..(free of charge). Would you prefer a horizontal or vertical resting position? Would you prefer to be buried in a quiet place or rather in the middle of the highway? The latter means a lot of people will be visiting your grave whether or not they mean to :P