Friday, May 23, 2008

On the eve of Beth's wedding day


Tomorrow my best friend from highschool is getting married. I can't be there due to a couple thousand miles and an ocean between us. But I can't help but think of her and the times we shared.

There are so many memories and yet we only had three years. Beth is the most amazing friend anyone could ever wish for and its a comforting thought to know that by moving away I made place for more people to get to know her. She's a great listener, speaks after careful thought and is incredibly kind and loving. I remember so many sleep overs where we discussed our highschool sweethearts, the foolishness of crushes and dating, and our college dreams.

Beth and I first met on a very hot summer day in August 2000. It so happens that we both volunteered to help out with the VBS at our church in Cairo. I remember lying back on haybales giggling like nutcases... After the VBS we went our seperate ways only to renew our acquantaince over a game of spoons with knives at BreakAway (youthgroup). I janked the last knife from her hand and nearly cut her fingers of. We've been friends ever since :)

The next year we were in the same cellgroup and we'd go completely nuts each night that the moon was full. Coincidence? I don't know. I just remember some very fun nights at Amy's place with Jeannet and Karith. There were mashed potato fights, regular water fights, pj days, trips to Aqua Park, and many many nights just hanging out.

Ofcource it wasn't always fun and easy. Being a teenager never is... we had our boy-trouble and sorrows. But that never got in the way of our friendship. I give Beth all the credit for that, because she was incredibly understanding, eventhough it hurt her sometimes. During one of our talks I told her about my dream for her. That she'd go to college, meet the man of her dreams, and get married straight out of college. That was my wish for her. She deserved it. And she still does.It's been 5 years since I moved away and we haven't talked in several years. But those highschool days with Bethany are memories I treasure. Beth, you are an incredible person and there is no person I'd wish more love and joy than you. I am so happy for you and Jake it makes my heart swell up and tears well up. I know this is kinda soft and all, but allow me, just this once.

Have a blast tomorrow and I pray all of God's blessings over your marriage with Jake,
who knows but we may meet again some day...

love,
Ineke

1 comments:

Cairo-karios said...

Those were great days!